Speaking Out ~ Living With HD

Advocating For Your Child

Home | Index | Guestbook/Tell A Friend
                              Gee, I wonder if my folks would like to read this?

Emotional Problems-Advocating For Your Child
Some nine million children have serious emotional problems at any point in time. Yet, only 1 in 5 of these children are receiving appropriate treatment.
When parents or teachers suspect that a child may have an emotional problem, they should seek a comprehensive evaluation by a mental health professional specifically trained to work with children and adolescents.
Signs and symptoms of childhood and adolescent emotional problems may include (see Signs & Symptoms
Ongoing parental involvement and support are essential to the overall success of treatment. Depending on the nature of your child's problems, it may also be important to involve the school, community agencies, and/or juvenile justice system.
Many states now have laws concerning reasonable access to specialists. If you have problems or questions, try calling the Department of Insurance, the Patient Ombudsman/Advocate, or the Department of Consumer Affairs
at your insurance company.