Coping with your own feelings is one thing, coping with the daily pressures of living in a family
with HD is another. Because of the disease, people with Huntington's disease often appear to be irrational, demanding or selfish
Here are some suggestions for coping with temper tantrums inflexibility, apathy, and frustration.
It won't always be easy. If you lose it, forgive yourself and try again and again.
- Try a distraction or a diversion
- Ignore the outburst if you can't think of a positive response
- Take time out in another room or outside
- Try to avoid confrontation
If you can't understand what they're saying:
- Ask them to repeat what you don't understand
- Ask them to say the main word again
- Ask them to spell the word or write it down