1. What are the patients wishes? What quality of life is important to the patient?
2. What is the goal or purpose for providing artificial nutrition and hydration? Will it bring about a cure or
arrest the disease? Will it maintain an acceptable quality of life for the patient? Will it contribute to the patients comfort?
3. Does the patient have religious, cultural or personal values that would affect a decision to continue or stop
4. Are there any benefits that artificial nutrition and hydration offer this patient?
5. What burdens will artificial nutrition and hydration create?
6. Are there issues such as depression, inability to let go, guilt, unresolved issues from the past, unfinished
business, affecting the decision making process of the patient, the surrogate decision maker or the health care provider?
7. Does the state law affect the decision to stop treatment?