Huntington's Disease Support Information


Index~HD Search
Convention Scholarship Fund
State HD Support
District of Columbia
New Hampshire
New Mexico
New York
North Carolina
North Dakota
West Virginia
Washington State
Pennsylvania~Delaware Valley
Rhode Island
South Dakota
Wyoming Non-HD Specific Caregiver Support
Miscellaneous State Resources
Other Resources

Index~HD Search

Click on map for yellow pages
                              State Flag  Oregon
Served by the  Washington State
HDSA Chapter.

707 SW Gaines St.
Portland, OR 97201
Phone: (503) 494-7814

Location: Marquam Hill Campus, CDRC.
One of the few clinics of its kind in the US that
treats individuals who cannot use speech or
writing for communication. Innovative technology for communication disorders due to stroke, MS, ALS, movement disorders, mental retardation or  autism.
Pediatrics - Neurology
505 N.W. 185th Ave.,
Beaverton, OR
NSI research will help benefit patients with the following diseases and health problems:  Huntington's disease find an OHSU doctor or clinic near you
East Portland Neurology Clinic, PC
Dr. Robert Crumpacker
Dr. Howard Taylor
Dr. Panna Shah
10000 S.E. Main St., Ste 307
Portland, OR 97216
Phone: 503.256.3034
Fax: 503.256.3055

click here for a map
Marquam Hill Campus
Outpatient Clinic Building
3rd floor
Portland, OR 97201
Phone: (503) 494-6976
Hours: Thursday mornings
The Behavioral Neurology clinic sees patients
who have disorders of higher cortical function
secondary to brain disease. The syndromes
evaluated include aphasias, apraxias, agnosias, disorders of attention and memory and frontal lobe syndromes. The disorders may be secondary to a wide variety of medical or neurological conditions ranging from inherited disorders to medical illnesses, including degenerative brain diseases and focal brain lesions.
Oregon Psychological Association
147 SE 102nd
Portland, OR 97216
Phone:     503.253.9155 or
tollfree     800.541.9798
Fax            503.253.9172
Genetic Testing
Kaiser Foundation Health Plan of NW
10220 SE Sunnyside Road
Clackamas, OR 97015-9309
Contact Genetic Counselor:
Laura Rivas, Cheryl Miranda,
Roberta Foxley, Jessica Kushner,
Angella Holt and Kate Dietrich
Phone:  (503) 571-5827
Fax:       (503) 571-2772

Oregon Health Sciences University
CDRC Genetics
P.O. Box 574
Portland, OR 97207
Contact:  Karen Kovak, MS,
                 Genetic Counselor
Phone:    (503) 494-8307
Fax:         (503) 494-2786
Also does: preimplantation genetic diagnosis (PGD)
ALF-Nursing Homes
HD Experienced
Need your input
State Long-Term Care Ombudsman
OregonState Long-Term Care Ombudsman
3855 Wolverine NE, Suite 6
Salem, OR 97310
Phone: (503) 378-6533
FAX:     (503) 373-0852
Misc. State Support 
Family Services-Map by State
Guardianship Programs
A listing of guardianship programs in each state
United Way-Search By Zip Code will provide you with information on the United Way in your area.  If they have a website, they usually have a section called "How Do I Get Help?"  Click on it and look for their "Quick Guide" (To Human Services) help in your area. You can print it out. Most guides are in PDF format and are a great resources to have on your refrigerator!
Other Information is a screening tool provided by the federal government to help you find government benefits that you may be eligible to receive.
Insurance Consumer Guides  for Getting and Keeping Health Insurance - A guide for each state and the District of Columbia - fifty-one in all. The Guides summarize your protections, and so may not answer all of your questions. They are not a substitute for legal, accounting, or other professional advice.
Oregon State  Homepage
Oregon Cares toll-free number with your questions about your caregiving situation.
Explore the many issues facing caregivers today. Learn how to communicate about caregiving issues and how to avoid caregiver burnout. Find out how to recognize signs of elder abuse, where you can receive training to expand your caregiving skills and how to locate respite care and related support.
Community-based care
- Adult Day Care Services
- Adult Foster Care
- Assisted Living Facilities
- Residential Care Facilities
- Nursing Facilities
Getting Help - Many communities have support services that enable frail older people to live longer in their homes. You do not have to face the challenges of caregiving alone. We've investigated community services available to help you.
Special Notices
Check  HDSA's HD National Events Calendar for current events in your area.
Support Group Meetings
Date:         Call for Information
Where:     Oregon Health
                   Sciences University 
                   CDRC building, Room 3200 
                    707 SW Gaines Road, 
                    Portland, Ore.
Contact     Karen Kovak
Phone:       503-494-5606 
Participants:  Combined open/caregivers
support group
State Resources conintued
Caregiving continued
Health care - This section discusses the ways to deal with health issues when they arise. Find caregiver tips about pain management, depression, delirium, injuries associated with falling, hearing loss, nutrition and more.
Help in your home
- Meal preparation
- Money management
- Shopping & transportation
- Medical equipment
- Home Health Services
- Dressing & personal hygiene
- Medication assistance
- Housekeeping
Client-Employed Provider Program
Legal & Financial
Considering legal and financial issues is an important part of caregiving planning. Making legal decisions early can save you undue stress when care needs have progressed to a more serious stage. This information will provide you with a great start.
Needs assessment and case management
When you or someone you care about needs more help than you have available, or if you are thinking about nursing home care, we can help you sort out the choices that may be available to you. We can also give you facts about care costs and help you plan so that you get the most for your money. Contact your local
DHS or Area Agency on Aging office for help and more information.
Community Resources
Ask a Nurse
Phone: (541) 686-7000
Eugene, OR 97440
This free, 24-hour medical info and referral service is staffed by registered nurses answering health.

Center for Family Development
1258 High Street
Eugene, OR 97401
Phone:(541) 342-8437,
The office is open from 8 to 5; sessions are by appointment only. Mental health treatment for children and adults.

Volunteers in Medicine Clinic
3321 West 11th Avenue
Eugene, OR 97402
Phone: (541) 685-1800
Catherine Amber
Volunteer Coordinator
FOOD for Lane County
770 Bailey Hill Road
Eugene, OR 97402
Phone: (541) 343-2822
Freddie Tryk
Social Service Office
450 Highway 99 N
Eugene, OR 97402
Phone: (541) 689-6747
Jake Dudell
Emergency services and provisions for low income, at risk, and homeless families and individuals. Food boxes, clothing, medicines, supplies, etc.

ShelterCare, Inc.
1062 Main Street #12
Springfield, OR 97477
Phone: (541) 726-8125
Temporary shelter, food and clothing to families who are homeless and shelter to single adults with disabilities who have been referred by Lane County Mental Health. Must be able to care for self independently.
Disabilities-Visit this new section and explore the issues surrounding the younger disabled population and the caregivers who provide services to thousands of Oregonians with disabilities. Find tips on communication, roles and relationships, and learn about the Client Employed Provider (CEP) Program.
An overview
Choosing care in the home
Choosing care out of the home
Food & financial help
Home modifications  Housing help
Support & advocacy
Advocacy groups
Financial and Medical Assistance
- General Assistance (GA)
- Food Stamps
- Oregon Health Plan
Low Income Energy Assistance
Program (LIEAP)
125 E. 8th. Avenue
Eugene, OR 97401
Phone: (541) 682-3378
Residential Energy Assistance
Challenge (REACH) 
125 E. 8th Avenue
Eugene, OR 97401
Phone:(541) 682-3383
Stacie Grabo
community service worker
When you see a doctor, ask about: Oregon Health Plan (OHP) sliding scale clinic if you do not have insurance.
Qualified Medicare Beneficiaries - The Qualified Medicare Beneficiaries program (QMB) helps people who have Medicare pay for their medical care. PDF version 
Oregon Supplemental Income Program (OSIP) - Oregon's Department of Human Services has programs to help Oregonians with disabilities or those who are older than age 65. PDF version
Legal issues