Huntington's Disease Support Information

South Dakota

Index~HD Search
Convention Scholarship Fund
State HD Support
District of Columbia
New Hampshire
New Mexico
New York
North Carolina
North Dakota
West Virginia
Washington State
Pennsylvania~Delaware Valley
Rhode Island
South Dakota
Wyoming Non-HD Specific Caregiver Support
Miscellaneous State Resources
Other Resources

Index~HD Search

Click on map for yellow pages
South Dakota State
                              FlagSouth Dakota
Sioux Valley Chapter HDSA
Chapter serves Northwest Iowa, Southwest Minnesota, North Dakota as well asSouth Dakota
President:       Arnie Ver Hoef
(605) 334-9917
Address:          PO Box 1311 
                         Sioux Falls, SD 57101-1311
Website:          Sioux Valley Chapter
Click here to  Order Videos or Info
Help Line:      1-515-373-6482
Family Service
Ann Hemmelrick
1320 190th St
Bradgate, IA 50520 - 1-515-373-6482
HD Experienced
Need your input
Nursing Homes
HD Experienced
Need your input
State Long-Term Care Ombudsman
South DakotaState Long-Term Care
Office of Adult Services & Aging
700 Governors Drive
Pierre, SD 57501-2291
Phone: (605) 773-3656
FAX:     (605) 773-6834
Nursing Homes
There are currently  15 Nursing Facilities who have a contract or agreement with the Office of Adult Services and Aging.  listing of South Dakota nursing facilities
Complaints regarding nursing homes should be directed to the Department of Health at 605-773-3361
For a free brochure on residents rights, contact the Ombudsman Program at 605-773-3656

Misc. State Support

Family Services-Map by State

State Agency Links

State Social Security Offices

State Disability Resources

Social Security Disability Planner

Medcaid Map By State

Map-State Social & Human Serv.

Assistive Technology-By State

State & Federal Legal Forms

State Legal Assistance

State Resources
South Dakota Homepage
For information about the statewide Adult Day Services Association contact Joline Thomas, Freeman Adult Day Services Director, at (605) 925-4231.  An Adult Day Care program can be co-located within a child day care, senior center, nursing facility, hospital, church or stand alone. There are currently 8 Adult Day Care Programs who have a contract or agreement with the Office of Adult Services and Aging
Adult Foster Care  Contact   1-800-265-9684
for persons with disabilities between the ages of 18-59 who are capable of self-preservation in emergency situations and need supervision or monitoring in one of the following areas:1. The activities of daily living; 2. The self-administration of medications; or 3. The self-treatment of a physical disorder.The primary function of an Adult Foster Care home is to provide general supervision and personal care services for individuals who require minimal assistance in activities of daily living (ADLs), who require supervision/monitoring with the self-administration of medications, and who require supervision/monitoring of self-treatment of physical disorder. 
Adult Services and Aging -    1-866-854-5465
Programs and services to help elderly people continue living in their own homes.

There are 21 nonprofit Senior Meals providers in South Dakota.
Domestic Abuse Program
Provides shelter and support services for victims of domestic abuse and sexual assault.
Homemaker services may delay or prevent the need for care in an institution. A home-maker is assigned to provide basic household assistance. These services are to be provided during normal working hours, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. 
Personal Care    1-866-854-5465
Personal Care services provide basic tasks necessary to enable individuals who are Medicaid eligible to remain living in the community. These services are provided if there is a medically-related condition that prevents them from completing essential household tasks. Examples of tasks allowed under this program include: Care of teeth and mouth, Bathing of client in bed, tub or shower, Eating and meal preparation, Ambulation-
Range of Motion, Dressing, Use of bedpan, commode or toilet, Hair care and Shaving.  The Office of Adult Services and Aging provides personal care services through contracts with 33 local agencies. Adult Services and Aging Local Offices
Senior Case Management is available to individuals over the age of 60 who are not otherwise eligible for Adult Services and Aging programs but need assistance for co-ordinating needed care. For more information or to request this services call Adult Services & Aging toll-free at 1-866-854-5465.
Assisted Living
How do I File a complaint about a health care facility?
Caregiver Self Assessment: The Caregiver Self Assessment is a tool that caregivers can use to help identify areas where they need assistance. After completing the optional form, caregivers can call their local ASA Office to access the many services which can help them provide care to their loved ones
Covered services may include companionship, involvement in the client's activities of daily living, meal preparation, light housekeeping and personal hygiene tasks. Services not covered include skilled nursing services and the administration of medications.  The primary caregiver has the responsibility to identify and select the Respite Care provider. This person may be a neighbor, friend or family acquaintance or community resource person that has agreed to provide the care. The current rate for Respite Care is $5.82 (6/00) an hour. In a facility setting such as a nursing facility, assisted living or adult day care, the hourly rate is $4 regardless of day or evening hours.
Respite Care Program (different program)
Department of Human Services, Division of Developmental Disabilities.   
E-MAIL: Kathy Olson
For an eligible child or adult, a family may receive authorization to receive up to $550.00 of Respite Care services; with $200.00 for each additional eligible child or adult, up to a maximum of $950.00 per family, per year (June 1-May 31). The family selects a provider and uses the Request For Payment form to purchase Respite Care Services. The provider receives reimbursement by submitting the Request For Payment form to the Department of Human Services Respite Care Program.
      Care Program
      for the Respite Care Program
Information and Referral,  Caregiver Training,Case Management, Supplemental Servicesand Caregiver Relief. Contact your local ASA Social Worker or ASAs toll-free number at 1-866-854-5465.
Child Care Services
Helps low-income families pay for child care so they can work or go to school and provides services to improve the quality of child care.
provides free health insurance to South Dakota children who meet certain eligibility guidelines. CHIP covers doctor appointments, hospital stays, dental and vision services, prescription drugs, mental health care and other medical services. 
Child Protection Services
Investigates child abuse and neglect, works to preserve or restore family stability, and administers foster care and adoptions. 
provides Medical Assistance for certain disabled children in South Dakota. The program is intended for children with disabilities who have medically fragile conditions that would require skilled nursing care in a medical facility if they were not being cared for at home.
provides Medical Assistance for South Dakota children with a developmental disability such as Downs Syndrome, mental retardation, autism or cerebral palsy.
Special Notices
Check  HDSA's HD National Events Calendar for current events in your area.
February 9, 2003
Sycamore Clinic
600 N Sycamore Ave.
Sioux Falls
Our featured speaker is Phil Hardt.  We will also have round table speakers and discussions featuring : Dr Berne Bahnson, neurologist, Dr Virginia Johnson, geneticist, Brian Kirby, attorney, Marlene Hartzel, State Farm Ins. Agent and the SS office has sent material we can distribute.Valentine lunch and door prizes to follow the meeting.
All welcome...
Support Group Meetings
Peer Led Groups: Nebraska
Call for  dates, times and locations:
Contact:  Cathy McNeil
Phone:     (402) 537-0739
State Resources  continued

Home and Community Based Services for Developmentally Disabled - provides Medical Assistance  for individuals with developmental disabilities who would otherwise be institution-alized in a Medicaid-funded hospital, nursing facility or an intermediate care facility for the mentally retarded.
Energy Assistance & Weatherization - Helps low-income families pay their heating bills and weatherize their homes. The program has two parts:
Food Stamps
Helps low-income people buy the food they need to remain healthy. 
Rx Access: Rx Access helps people gain access to drug company assistance programs which supply prescription medications at low or no cost. The program is available to people age 19 or older who meet certain guidelines.
Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) - Provides temporary monthly cash assistance to needy families. 
Medical Assistance is a federal and state-funded program that provides medical coverage for people who meet certain eligibility standards. If you are eligible, Medical Assistance will act as your insurance company and pay for medical services such as visits to the doctor, hospital, dentist, chiropractor, etc. In order to be eligible for Medical Assistance, you must meet the eligibility criteria for a program such as the Childrens Health Insurance Program (CHIP), Low Income Families (LIF), Nursing Home Assistance or other Medical Assistance programs. If you receive payments from Supplemental Security Income (SSI), you are also eligible for Medical Assistance.
-Recipient Handbook contains important information that will answer many of your questions about the South Dakota Medical Assistance Program.
-  Residential Treatment Facility  provides coverage of treatment services in licensed group and residential treatment facilities for individuals who have behavioral or emotional problems requiring intensive professional assistance and therapy in a highly structured, self-contained environment.
Medical Eligibility
Determines if people are eligible for Medical Assistance (Medicaid or CHIP).

Medical Services

Covers health care services provided to low-income people eligible for Medical Assistance (Medicaid or CHIP).  To apply, you can either print an application or visit your local Social Services Office.
Medicare Recipients
The Medicare Savings Program assists individuals with payment of their Medicare expenses. This program can save people up to $704.40 each year. Many people use the extra money to help pay for living expenses or prescription drugs.
People Who Need Long-Term Care
The Department of Social Services provides the following medical assistance for people who need long-term care. For more information on a specific program, click on the link below. 
Developmentally Disabled Individuals who would Require Nursing Home Care if not for Special Services Performed in their Home
Quadriplegics who would Require Nursing Home Care if not for Special Services Performed in their Home
Elderly Individuals who would Require Nursing
Home Care if not for Special
Services Performed in their Home
Individuals most appropriate for LTCAP include vulnerable adults who have chronic health problems which limit their capability to function independently without special assistance provided in the community. 
Eligibility for Supplemental Security Income is determined by the Social Security Administration. Individuals qualifying for a SSI payment are automatically entitled to Medical Assistance; therefore, there is no need for SSI recipients to apply for Medical Assistance.
The Department of Social Services provides the following Medical Assistance for Recipients of Supplemental Security Income (SSI) and people in other related categories. For more information click on a specific program
The South Dakota Department of Social Services may provide up to 12 months of additional transitional medical benefits to former low-income medical recipients. South Dakota families who are no longer eligible for Medical Assistance for Low-Income Families (LIF) because of employment or child support received by a member of the household may receive additional Medical Assistance.
For  more information on becoming a guardian/conservator for a person with a developmental disability, please contact the Division of Developmental Disabilities at 605-773-3438. Guardianship/Conservatorship contact: Brooke Templeton
Public bodies approved by SDDOT to coordinate transportation services for elderly and persons with disabilities.
The National Transit Resource Center can provide the names of local transit providers who receive federal money to provide transportation to older Americans and people with disabilities. You can contact them at 1-800-527-8279.