Huntington's Disease Support Information

West Virginia

Index~HD Search
Convention Scholarship Fund
State HD Support
District of Columbia
New Hampshire
New Mexico
New York
North Carolina
North Dakota
West Virginia
Washington State
Pennsylvania~Delaware Valley
Rhode Island
South Dakota
Wyoming Non-HD Specific Caregiver Support
Miscellaneous State Resources
Other Resources
Click on map for yellow pages
West Virginia
                              State Flag  West Virginia
Served by -> Ohio - Southwest Chapter
Genetic Testing
West Virginia University
Department of Pediatric/Genetics
P.O. Box 9214
Morgantown, WV 26506-9214
Contact:   Marybeth Hummel, MD
Phone:     (304) 293-7332
Fax:          (304) 293-4337
Nursing Homes
HD Experienced
Need your input
State Long-Term Care Ombudsman
West Virginia State Long-Term Care
Commission on Aging
1900 Kanawha Boulevard East
Charleston, WV 25305-0160
Phone: (304) 558-3317
FAX:     (304) 558-0004
This office was established to assist citizens of West Virginia in addressing concerns and grievances that they have regarding the behavioral health care delivery system and to provide for a process in which resolution of those issues can be accomplished.
Other Support
State Resources
West Virginia Homepage
Adult Residential Services refer to a range of services provided by the Department of Health and Human Resources to benefit incapacitated adults who reside in certain out-of-home, paid placement settings. This type of assistance is generally needed in situations when an incapacitated adult needs a supportive living arrangement but does not have family and/or financial resources to provide for these needs.
Advance Directive Information
Alcholism and Drug Abuse
The program assists with payment up to $1250 toward the cost of funeral expenses for an indigent adult or child. 
The program is used to assist individuals and families in meeting a financial crises when they are without available resources. 
Special Notices
Support Group Meetings
When:       2nd Tuesday each month
Time:         7:00 PM
Where:     Crim United Methodist Church
                   200 Pike St.
                   Phillip, WV
Contact:   Linda Bartlett
Phone:     (304) 457-2071
State Resources continued
Supports provided to families included: respite care, assistance with transportation needs, assistance with equipment needs of their child, assistance with health related needs (therapy costs, medical equipment not covered by insurance, etc.), assistance with accessing goods and services in the community and home modifications.
The FSP provides monthly benefits to help eligible households buy food. Eligibility to receive benefits is based on household size, income, assets and some household expenses. The income and asset limits are determined by the federal government. The asset imit is $2,000 for most households, but if at least one person is age 60 or over, the asset limit is $3,000.
The Medicaid Program provides a medical card which may be used to receive medical care in the community or in an institutional setting, such as a nursing home. Coverage Groups for Children and Their Caretakers.  Aged, Blind or Disabled Individuals or Married Couples
Mental Health
Office of the Ombudsman for
Behavioral Health
State Capitol Complex
Building 6, Room 850
Charleston, WV 25305
Phone: 304-558-2159
RAPIDS determines eligibility for WV WORKS (Cash Assistance), Food Stamps, Medical Assistance (Medicaid and WV CHIP), TRIP (Transportation Remuneration Incentive Program), NEMT (Non-Emergency Medical Transportation), EA (Emergency Assistance), LIEAP (Low-Income Energy Assistance Program), and SCA (School Clothing Allowance).
In addition to families receiving monthly cash assistance payments through the WV WORKS Program, families with income below 100% of the Federal Poverty Income level and who have eligible school age children are also eligible for the school clothing allowance.
Substance Abuse Facility Locator Provided by Substance Abuse Mental Health Services Administration(SAMHSA)
Transportation  Assistance - The primary purpose of the Transportation Renumeration Incentive Program (TRIP) is to provide a means of transportation to certain low income elderly and handicapped persons. Each eligible participant of the program may purchase an $8.00 booklet  of TRIP tickets for only $3.00.  These tickets may then be used in lieu of cash on any participating public transportation providers such as taxis, buses, and trains.   Recipients of Medicaid and Handicapped Childrens Services may request reimbursement for the cost of transportation associated with receiving medical services. Payments are made to the client or the transportation provider and can include meals, lodging and turnpike tolls when required.
The Low Income Energy Assistance Program (LIEAP) assists eligible households with the cost of home heating. Cash payments are made to households or to utility companies on their behalf. A crisis component is available for households without resources facing terminations or being without bulk fuel. Eligibility for both program components is based on a combination of factors, including income, type of heating payment, and total heating costs.