The "Illustrated Guide" series attempts to use collections of still images (when adequate) and animations to provide instruction in an assortment of techniques related to adapting to restricted mobility or movement (transfers and adaptive equipment) or to preventing disability related to back strain (back and spine).
- Adaptive Equipment - An Illustrated Guide
A brief illustrated guide to commonly used adaptive equipment for self care, feeding, bathing and hygiene. Cover
||Tooth Brushing (limited hand strength)|
Upper body washing
The Universal Cuff
Putting on Socks without bending
Use of a dressing stick
Zippering/buttoning with poor hand dexterity
||Scooping food with one hand|
Cutting food with one hand
Managing a feeding utensil with poor hand strength
||Tub and Shower Adaptation|
Back and Spine
- Be Good To Your Back -An Illustrated Guide
Body Mechanics as applied to common activities which contribute to back strain or aggravate existing back injury. Links to animations which display an assortment of everyday challenges to the lower back.
- Transfers from Wheelchair to Another Sitting Surface - An Illustrated Guide
An illustrated guide to transfer technique with emphasis upon proper body mechanics and safety.
Therapy (all of these are in PDF printable format)
At Home Help (in PDF format for printing)
Personal (in PDF format for printing)
Diet (in PDF format for printing)
- Accessibility and Modifications to the Living Space
- A monograph on design for independent living. Initial emphasis is upon wheelchair accessibility.
- Wheelchair Ramps
- Information related to wheelchair ramp design.
- Guns in the Households of Alzheimer's' Patients
- Disturbing new research suggests a potential new public health issue looming...
- About "Nerve Blocks" for Spasticity
- Information sheet on chemoneurolysis.
Overview of Traumatic Brain Injury
- Seizures and Epilepsy - "Frequently Asked Questions"
- Contains practical information on what to do (and what not to do) if one observes a convulsion, overview of common seizure types and tips on prevention.
- Fractures and Osteoporosis - Nutrition Helps "Break" the Connection
- A short monograph on nutrition and osteoporosis.
- Anxiety and Depression
- A short monograph derived from announcements for National Anxiety Disorders and Depression Screening Days in 1996. Very basic information and links to relevant net resources.
Source: Northeast Rehabilitation Health Network which is a dynamic, responsive healthcare organization committed to the provision of quality rehabilitative, educational and wellness services that are customer centered, ethical, comprehensive and accessible. Check out their website http://www.northeastrehab.com/